Friday, October 5, 2012

What’s gotten into football?


I’m headed out to the game today. West Virginia v Texas. Let’s see I’ve got my seat cushion, my windbreaker, my rain slicker, my binoculars, my tickets, my parking passes…oh yeah and my calculator.

Seems that the Big 12 is putting up some unbelievable numbers in offensive production – read points.  And to keep up with them, you almost need a PC in the stands.  63-70 Baylor and WV last weekend. I mean I can remember the days when Texas didn’t score that many point in basketball. (Like last year.)

Nick Saban at Alabama isn’t sure this fast-paced, high octane offensive is good for football. He likes it slower, more defensive and controlled. Coach Royal would probably agree with him. But Royal is gone from the sidelines and Alabama is having to put up fairly big numbers itself just to remain on top in the SEC. Nick worries that the no-huddle, fast-pace of the game will lead to more injuries of players. (He may have a point.) But fans are not going to fall asleep in the stands in the Big 12.

I watched a defensive struggle the other day on TV between two Big 10 teams (Lets see the Big 10 has 12 teams and the Big 12 has ten teams….Hummm?) The ball went back and forth as the strong defenses played smash-mouth football. Punt after fourth down punt it went. My friends watching with me finally said, “Turn the channel this is boring. We might as well be watching soccer.” But to a real football fan it was a good-old fashion game. A fight in the trenches. Mano-mano.  No fancy flea-flickers or double-reverses.  Run ahead and pass ahead. And punt. This was Jimmy Johnson football.

Then I saw the highlights of the Baylor –WV game. It was like watching a match at Wimbledon.  First one who breaks serve, wins. It was breathtaking and fun. It was like backyard football. “You go, long and I’ll hit you by the blue Mustang under the pecan tree.”

Yes football is in the air and in the Big 12, so are higher mathematics. No, longer is it just x’s and o’x – no we’re solving for X in algorithms of heavenly reaching scores. So here is to offensive coordinators for lighting up the skies. And here’s another toast to the defensive coordinators who just need another drink to brace themselves for another aerial bombardment.

Why I can remember the days 17-9 was a big day at Memorial Stadium…of course, we had real grass in those days. (Both kinds.)



Note:
No Sunday Blog this week. I’m taking a day off to visit the State Fair. Corn dogs, new cars, fried gumbo (no kidding) and butter sculpture. You gotta love Texas.

Note #2:
That was no infield fly rule hit. the umnps in the Bravs/Cardinals game blew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment