Friday, October 26, 2012

Land of the free...


I am sitting in my studio working today, while my housekeeper is busy vacuuming and dusting and changing the beds. In the background I can here Rosa’s (my maid from Mexico –a citizen now) granddaughter singing. She is signing the Star Spangled Banner in a child’s voice, but with perfect pitch, knowing every word. 

This is America. God bless her, for the old white man, the immigrant and the immigrant’s grandchild. We are a melting pot. But we are Americans.

I wish every American alive could have experienced this moment. The young child had no idea I was listening. She was just signing. And her song, her voice and those marvelous words that capture the spirit of her land and mine, are so true and so pure.

The land of the free and the home of the brave.

It is the same weather you are white, black, brown or purple. It is true no matter where your family came from. From Guanajuato or from Scotland. This is the land of the free. God bless America. 

1 comment: