Monday, October 15, 2012

Extra Innings versus overtime.


I’ve been watching the baseball playoffs recently and have discovered why baseball is still America’s pastime and not football. Take last weekend for example.

In Dallas, at halftime, the football game between Texas and Oklahoma was over. Finished. No comebacks. Sorry. Not enough time and enough Hail Mary’s can pull it out. Why?  The clock. Too little time for heroics.

But in Yankee Stadium there were heroics all weekend long. Come from behind, walk-off wins in extra innings. Unknown, has-beens, hitting not one home rum, but two – to first tie the game, then to win the game. Time – that is the clock– was not a factor. It never is in baseball. It is only the man and the bat versus the man and the ball. Your fastball, curve and change-up versus my flick of the wrists with this piece of lumber from Louisville.

And that is what makes baseball so American. It is never over until it is over. You can always fight back and win. There is no artificial entity involved – the clock. Your team versus my team in nine, ten or a thousand innings – whatever it takes.

Same is not true for the elections. Thank God. Where a clock – or in this case a calendar says time is up.  Your guy versus my guy until November 6th. Then it is cast your vote and count ‘em.

Winner take all.

I prefer baseball in sport, because there is always a chance to come from behind and win.  Miracles can happen.

But in my politics, I wish there was less time.  Too much noise for far too long, it hurts my ears and I believe it hurts America, too.

As for football in the second weekend of October – there is always next year. This year there are no miracles for the Longhorns. Not this year. Maybe in baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment