Friday, June 7, 2013

Stop spying on us.


Up front: I’ve been a big fan of President Obama during his first few years in the White House. I was all for (and still am) his healthcare reform. Our country desperately needed it. I still don’t think it went far enough, but that can be argued in a separate blog. I supported his tax reform and his mandates to congress about the what and where the budget should be trimmed. But I must say his administration’s continuance of the Bush administrations snooping and spying on Americans is revolting.

America’s government  has no right to intercept my calls and read my mail or take a swab of my DNA without a court order that is derived from some type of evidence in due process from a sitting judge that I am a threat to national security or a suspect in a criminal investigation.  Where are the NRA members who yelled so loudly for the protection of the 2nd Amendment rights when our 4th Amendment rights and our 1st Amendment rights are being trampled all over?

Mr. President, you are wrong to allow this to continue.  You are wrong to allow Gitmo to continue. You are wrong in spying on media and reporters without due process and without court orders giving you access to their files. You are trampling on our rights.

Never thought I’d have to write such a paragraph aimed at this President. I thought he, of all politicians, would be above this. He is not. He is just like the rest of the power thugs looking for a way to control Americans.  Sure, they hide it behind the needs to collect information about terrorists. But the Patriot Act is wrong. Its usage is wrong and to continue to hide behind it is wrong. It was wrong when it was drafted under the care and watchful eye of Dick Chaney and it is still wrong even in the hands of a Liberal Administration.

America, we should be as brave as the people of Turkey and stand up against our government and the folly they are making out of our Constitution.

The Bill of Rights trumps political process and national security, especially in such ways as it is being used today in Washington.

Enough is enough President Obama: Come clean and clean up this mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment