Friday, August 10, 2012

Every day heroes.


Every now and then someone steps forward and rekindles my hope for the Human Race.  Today it was a truck driver by the name of Terry Donald.

He was behind a pick-up that was carrying a load of what appeared to be household goods on the move. A bed, a mattress, springs, a color TV, a desk, a small dresser and several bags along with a sack of clothes, in what appeared to be a sheet from a twin bed. At the intersection where I was, the pick-up truck drove through and a mess of things bounced off and landed in the street. Terry’s truck was right behind and skidded to a stop. He hopped out and gathered the things together and raced after the pick up.

There were several people honking their horns at him and waving their fists. We were, after all trying to exit the Park Cities and those people are much too busy to stop and render assistance. Terry ignored them, packed the things up and drove on. He caught up with the woman two or three blocks away. She was in tears and he comforted her and returned all of her stuff.

Now I know all this happened because I watched it first hand, then caught up with the two in the parking lot of In and Out Burger. Her name was Melinda, and she was recently separated from an abusive husband – like that morning. She was trying to get to Oklahoma to her parent’s house where she said she would feel safe from his threats. She was so scared she didn’t dream of going back and getting the things that had fallen out of her truck. Terry and I helped her tie things down, I bought her a drink and she was on her way.

With tears in her eyes she thanked us again and drove off, heading north on U.S. 75. I hope she makes it and the beast of a husband never catches up with her.

Terry thanked me for helping him and I walked to my car, which was parked by his truck. He saw the carvings on my trunk and said, “I’m not a big Obama fan, but that is a really shitty message from some punk. Probably has the sense her old man had.” He nodded toward Melinda’s direction. I nodded back. We shook hands and he went his way and I went mine. And Melinda, hopefully goes her own way and finds peace.

Terry could have left those things lying in the middle of the frontage road and driven off. But he didn’t. He stopped and helped. He’s a good guy. They are still out there.





 Today's blog will be the last for a few weeks. Taking some time off to work on a new book and a movie script. I'll see y'all after Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment