Friday, February 20, 2015

The printed word just got better...ever so slightly


I have received an advance copy of the New York Times Magazine, due to premiere this Sunday. For all the consternation I felt about giving up an old friend, the new magazine seems to pick up right where the old one left off and continues a tradition of great journalism and wonderful design.

See our fears were needless.  True there will be features and articles I will miss, but overall I give the energetic, young staff of the Magazine an “A” for great effort. To be sure, I am no media expert, although I play one on TV along with Brian Williams (sorry) but I can tell you critics and readers alike should enjoy the new format and the new content. I am still not sure about the typeface, but I am very conventional when it comes to type. Okay, you can just go to Helvetica for all I am concerned.

I applaud the NYT for this change. Anytime a publication takes on a metamorphosis of this magnitude there will always be naysayers and poo-pooers.  Many will turn their noses up at first, but given time, the NYT Magazine will win them back. I am sure of it.

I look forward to this Sunday, with a roaring fire in the fireplace and the dogs lounging beside me, we will be spread out on the divan with the best journalism possible surrounding us and exploring the world. The New York Times on a Sunday is a treat. It is like a taste of Champaign after a race. A taste of caviar before a fine dinner. A swill of single malt scotch…well, you get the idea. It is a treat.

So, treat yourself this Sunday to the new and improved addition to the New York Times Magazine. I don’t think you will be disappointed.  I wasn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment