Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blinded by the bar code

I am having a bit of a row with one the national package deliver services. It seems that a client paid to have a package air expressed to me. I was to receive this time-sensitive material on Friday no later than 10 am.

It did not arrive.

It did not arrive on Friday morning or Friday afternoon or night. It did not arrive on Saturday or Sunday, either.  It finally showed up at my doorstep on Monday night between 7:15 and 7:30 pm.

That 's right some 81and a half hours late. Not what I would call on-time delivery. So, I called the company (this after they swearing to us it had been placed on my doorstep at 10:15 Friday morning) and I explained the situation to the very unfriendly operator who answered. She had to have had a bad night, I am sure, because no body in America can be that rude and not be a radio talk show host.

"Sir you package was delivered on Friday. At exactly 10:15."

"Nope.  I am holding in my hand right now. Just got here. It's Monday evening. Broncos and Falcons about to kick off."

"No sir. That must be a different package."

"Nope. Already checked. This is the one due me last Friday. At 10. Not 10:15. Even if you were right, you were a quarter of an hour late. As it is, you're only 81.5 hours late."

"Can't be. The bar code was scanned and the package was delivered to your front door last Friday at 10:15."

"Nope. It just got here. Went to walk the dog. No package. Came home. Package. That means your guy came by between 7:15 and 7:30, give or take a day or two."

"Sir, you are wrong.”

Time to escalate the violence. “Do you have a supervisor."

"One moment."

Same conversation so, we go up two levels. The third guy says, give him a minute. He's gone long enough for Payton Manning to throw three interceptions. The world must be coming to and end. And yeah, while we're on hold, NFL, get the real officials back. These clowns you got couldn't control a curling match.

Guy comes back and says, "Sir, if you look outside, that package has just been delivered to your house." He repeats the address like I might not know where I live.

"I know its here. I was the one to call you. It was suppose to be here on Friday. At ten am. It got here on Monday night between 7:15 and 7:30 pm. PM as in after the sun goes down. That’s over eighty hours past due."

"We're sorry. But sometimes out system gets backlogged.  Give me another second." he puts me on hold again and the Broncos fumble and truly start to implode.

He comes back on the line, all happy and smiley face and says, "Sir that package was delivered to your home on Friday morning at 10:15. Have a great day and thanks for calling."

If I had been a Islamic extremist or even just an East Texas Baptist, I would have blown their company up. As it is, I just won't use them ever again.



















Visit my new website at www.johncrawleybooks.com

1 comment:

  1. "Federal Express...when your package absolutely positively has to be there the next day, give or take 80 hours."

    ReplyDelete